We are often tempted to give our pet’s table-scraps or a little bit of what we are eating but there are many common human foods which can be toxic to our pets. Most people know that chocolate is not good for dogs but grapes? Or onions? Below we have compiled a list of some of the more common things we should avoid sharing with our pets and why.


the stimulant, theobromide, is found in chocolate and affects the heart, lungs kidneys and CNS. Ingestion can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, rapid heart beat, hyperactivity and in severe cases seizures. Dark chocolate and cooking chocolate contain a lot more theobromide than milk or white chocolate per gram. Caffeine is also found in chocolate and is a stimulant and may be fatal to dogs in high enough quantities.

Grapes and Raisins

grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. It is not known exactly why this can occur however the symptoms you might see include vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, abdominal pain and depression. These symptoms often occur 24 hours after ingestion.

Onions and garlic

onions and garlic are very poisonous to dogs. Even when mixed in with other ingredients such as in a casserole or pizza onion is toxic to dogs. They cause haemolytic anaemia which is where the red blood cells are destroyed and cause anaemia. You may see pale gums, vomiting, diarrhoea, blood in the urine and lethargy.

Macadamia nuts

As few as 10 macadamia nuts can cause symptoms such as weakness, vomiting, tremors and joint pain.


avocados contain an ingredient called Persin which can cause vomiting and diarrhoea in dogs, although is not usually lethal.


found in many chewing gums and sugar-free sweets xylitol is an artificial sweetner that can be deadly for dogs. In dogs it causes a sudden release of insulin which leads to hypoglycaemia or low blood sugar. Symptoms include vomiting, lethargy and lack of coordination. It can be fatal.

Leave a Comment